Wednesday, January 26, 2005

_Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind_

So, me and the wife watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night in celebration of our anniversary. Some observations:

1) Charlie Kaufman is a mad genius. He's also perhaps the only writer who doesn't direct whose name is enough to get me to see his films.

2) Would it be admitting too much to say that I saw myself WAY too much in Jim Carrey's character?

3) If I was single and stood a chance in hell, I would like to have Kirsten Dunst wearing only underwear, jumping on my bed.

4) This was much more tender and romantic than I expected from a Kaufman film. At first, I was wondering if it was really an "Anniversary" film, but I think the ending was perfect. That you can know that a huge number of elements of a relationship will go to hell, but that's okay... That you will eventually find that right person...

5) You have to love a film that won't leave you. There's been very few moments today where it wasn't stuck in my head.

6) We need more of these kind of Jim Carrey films and less of Bruce Almighty...and Adam Sandler, if you're listening, same goes for you. Go back and find PT Anderson and make him write more for you.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Mike,

Forgive me for not replying sooner. I was just cleaning out my email inbox and found the link to your blog....

I would like to see _Eternal ..._ but I heard there were very upsetting parts with animals and I can't watch that kind of stuff...

As for movies that stick with you - I just saw _Home at the End of the World_ last week - great movie! and last month I saw _Birth_ which was also fabulous!

Hope to see you up our way soon but if not, I'll be in Ann Arbor in May! - Jennifer