Tuesday, September 25, 2007

tunes on the road

On the way to work today, I was listening to Jesse Malin's latest album, Glitter in the Gutter. It's not a magnificent album, and if you try to listen to it while you're working, you're going to want to kill someone. BUt it works very well indeed in a fast-moving car.

Of course, being the overly analytical type that I am, I needed to figure out why it works better in the car. If you are just sitting down to "listen to music," this ends up being rather monotone and one dimensional. In a car, though, you don't need to have dynamics because, chances are, the wind noise would drown out any intricacies.

Where you are listening to music and how you are listening to it are just as important as what music you are listening to. The equipment and the environment determine an awful lot of your reactions.

Ever wonder why 60s pop music is so boring? They were writing for AM radio.

Think about it.

3 comments:

dr alex said...

I really dig a lot of 60s pop music. maybe that means that I am boring. but I hope not.

but I'm with you on that some things are good for the car, some are good for a party, some are good when you're sitting in your office grading, some are good for making dinner, some are good for sipping wine, some are good for burning incense, some are good for sex, some are good for dancing in a club, some are good for trying to sleep on a train (or a bus), some are best live, some are good for.... I've spent a lot of time choosing "the perfect" music for events. every time you've come to a party at my place? mp and I've worked to pick a good mix.

themikedubose said...

I just made an mp3 mix disk specifically designed for house cleaning, and it helps...although there are a few misses. I mean, I like Elton John, but hearing "Gray Seal" doesn't make you want to mop.

dr alex said...

The Ramones are good to clean the house to, but only if you're only cleaning for an hour or so. after that (I did it for 2 1/2 hours once), it starts to grate on you because it's so frenetic.