Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I am increasingly arty

I came to the shocking realization that I am becoming an increasingly arty person...at least in my movie viewing habits.

The last three films I've seen (King of Kong, The Darjeeling Limited, and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford) have all been at the art cinema in town. I can't remember the last popular film I've seen.

Part of this isn't much of a surprise to me. After all, it's not like I go to see thousands of films (too busy and broke), so I'm naturally a little selective. However, I can't decide if I'm just stupidly anti-blockbuster (sorry, couldn't get excited over Saw 47) or turning into a film snob. I would like to just chalk it up to most mainstream movies sucking, but I'm not totally sure if I'm just doing that for my ego's sake.

My television viewing, however, still has dips of non-arty...although to be sure, I need to watch some more wrestling or something.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

ooh, how was the Darjeeling movie? I want to see it.

themikedubose said...

Darjeeling was definitely worth it, for the beautiful visuals if nothing else. Not as depressing as The Life Aquatic and sorta spiritual. I was actually talking about this with my sister over Turkey Day, and I admitted that it wasn't Wes Anderson's best film...but then again, saying it wasn't as good as Rushmore or The Royal Tennenbaums means you're holding this up to just a stupidly high standard. Go see it.

Jennifer said...

Alas, I will have to wait until it comes out on video. Kingston is worse than midwest Ohio when it comes to venues to see cool movies. These are the times when I really miss Toronto with its cool indie theatres :(