Friday, May 02, 2008

signs of mental distress

I've noticed a few things about myself lately, and all of them make me really nervous:

  1. I seem to have developed the incessant need to slurp whatever beverage I drink. My spousal unit started complaining about this last week, and she claims this is a new occurrence. I have honestly been trying, but I can't seem to stop myself.
  2. When I'm teaching, I now talk with my hands. I don't normally do this. In fact, I normally make fun of people who do this.
  3. Since we got the laptop, I seem to play a whole lot more computer solitaire. This is a habit I thought I broke when working on the dissertation...when I broke it by removing everything off my computer. But I now find myself playing Kansas...and I can't stop!

Am I getting old, or are the years of teaching starting to take their toll? Will I be a blithering idiot in five years? I mean, more than I am already...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

heee, I talk with my hands when I lecture. I've tried to stop. Sometimes, I'll hold my hands behind my back, sometimes I'll play with a paperclip or rubberband, sometimes I'll clasp my hands... anything to avoid hand-talking but I can't help it! I'm not sure what I'd do with my hands if I'm not gesturing and accentuating!