Wednesday, June 17, 2009

faux reunion post 1

Yesterday was marked by the beautiful spousal unit crawling out of slumber at an ungodly hour so that she could taxi me to the Detroit airport. A few years ago, for reasons that I have never been able to fathom, it was cheaper to fly Toledo-Detroit-Jacksonville than Detroit-Jacksonville. Now, all of a sudden, logic has been restored, so we had to make the commute into Michigan...which means a longer rider, getting up stupidly early. Actually, I prefer illogic.

After beautiful spousal unit dropped me off, I went inside to check my bags...and couldn't find the Northwest counter. Went outside, only saw Delta. This is when I assumed that there had been a merger or something...but really, as I have frequent flier miles and a booked trip, it is puzzling that I had to make a guess on this one.

It was 7:30 am, and the airport was exceptionally dead and empty. I shuffled off to my gate, found it, and then went to stake out the airport bar for the obligatory pre-flight bloody mary. The bars were, however, deserted. Now, I know that 7:30 am is not normally considered prime drinking time, but c'mon, it must've been 9 pm according to some traveler's internal clock. But no, nobody was drinking. Now, this says something about me: I had utterly no qualms about a bloody mary at that time of the day, but I also didn't want to be the only person sitting at the bar drinking at that time of the day. Damnit, as much as I really want to say "I don't care what anyone thinks," that ain't apparently the case just yet. I'm such a wimp.

The plane was delayed 20 minutes. Apparently, they found condensation inside the cabin and had to repair a leak. It's obviously not the kind of thing you want to hear before flying, but it could be worse...they could be attacking the engine with a roll of duct tape and a piece of panty hose.

Flight was uneventful. I have the normal trick for keeping chatty passengers from talking to me: I get a book with the heaviest sounding title I can find to read on the plane. This time? The Second Industrial Divided, an economics book. No one talked. I think I might've even scared one baby from crying.

Parental units picked me up from the airport. We ate lunch at Harpoon Louie's, and I had my regular blackened grouper sammich...awesome. I also had a Yuengling, sipped it, and pondered the inequities of life, in that such a fine brew is still not available where I live.

The rest of the day consisted just of hanging with the parental units, fixing their computer (installing Avira, Firefox), scumbag brother and nephew coming over for dinner, exposing my family to the joy and pleasure that is Maytag Blue, and arguments about politics and beer. Overall, a fine day one.

No comments: