Tuesday, November 16, 2010

the right metaphor

I have news...but most of the standard metaphors are kind of clunky and inappropriate. "Knocked up" makes me think of some weird zero-G mixed martial arts. "Bun in the Oven" is too Hansel-and-Gretel/cannibalish. And "expecting" makes me think that someone is never going to finish their sentence.

This is more delicate than you might think. I know that I have to maintain the dignity of the situation. On the other hand, though, I also have to communicate the joy, excitement, and potential of the event. While I am a professional writer and thus have to hunt for metaphors all the time, this one is relatively important, so I really hope this does it justice:

My spousal unit and I would like to announce that, on or about the 8th day of this upcoming June, the future master and potentate of the universe will arrive, and we, as a couple, are the responsible party...so some of the "hails" should be for us.

2 comments:

smokeyb4 said...

Heartfelt cheers and congrats to all involved. Stay happy, healthy, and enthused throughout the whole of this wonderful time.

Binxy said...

Well the best I can do is offer the future Master my first born's first born, Alanna, should the master be a He this should please him greatly to have a beautiful she by his side, should the master be a she, she should be please to have a loyal "girlfriend" and maid by her side! LOL BTW, Don't tell my first born, she will kill me!!! Congrats to you both and Much Love!!

Binxy