Wednesday, May 01, 2013

the link between television and violence

I finally have proof of the insidious power of the media...and your worst fears have come true.  Television will cause erratic behavior in children.  They will copy what they see on television. It will be violent.  It will be brutal.  But most of all...it will be cute.

I know this because I learned it the hard way.

About a week ago, there must've been a program on which featured a pillow fight.  My daughter must've seen it.  I don't have either a clear memory or 100% verifiable evidence of this. But still, I know this must've happened.

Yesterday, my daughter grabbed my hand and led me down the hall. We bypassed the study and headed into Mommy and Daddy's bedroom.  Sylvia wanted up on the bed, so I set her on it and laid down next to her.  She went to Mommy's side and picked up her fairly heavy memory foam pillow.  Sylvia then said "fight!" and threw the pillow onto my face.

New warnings on television! The world must know how dangerous the wanton televised depiction of pillow fights can be! Back in the good ole days, before we had these darn talking picture boxes in every room, there must've been less pillow-on-Daddy violence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I came to the realization that our kids, one of whom is pushing the age of four, have never seen us sit and watch anything that was not based on the works of the Reverend Wilbert Awdry ("they're two/ they're four/ they're six/ they're eight") or Margaret and H.A. Rey (when the revolution comes, the proletariat will live as well as that entitled little ape and his dandelion-yellow-breeched sugar daddy). So, on Sunday night, I declared that I would give the Simpsons another chance, having not tuned in for some half-dozen years. Within two minutes, Moe was threatening suicide (no biggie) with his head in a noose (that's a problem: I could see the wheels turning already).

After the kids and I had learned about "hot" and "cold" from Katie Perry's breasts on Youtube, the kids went to sleep, and I tried to watch a few minutes of Family Guy. It pains me to see a show with so much talent burn air time with references to turds just for the sake of having a female character make a poop reference. I am aging. I will admit it. I sound like a crank, and I am unwilling to give time to anything that doesn't fit my fairly conventional and probably dated sense of what counts as wit.

BTW, I'm digging "Broken Ohio" on Year of the Black Swamp Rats as I write this. You guys must rock live.
Oak

themikedubose said...

For the record, I never found Family Guy to be all that funny.