Monday, May 25, 2015

bored

During her last visit, my mother told my nephew that she had declared war on the word "bored." Being bored, she feels, just means you are not trying to find something to do. It is, it seems, a matter of taking ownership over the activities in one's life.

Coming from my mother, this is not a surprise. I remember her saying similar things when I was a kid. And as a parent myself, I can certainly relate to the logic behind such a statement. None of this, however, changes one basic fact: I am bored. Bored, bored, bored, bored, bored.

My wife and urchin are both sick. This means that neither of them are really all that active or enchanting (this weekend, that is). So things like going out? Playing? Out of the question. Weekends are always a bit questionable with my kid anyway. She gets more weekend time with me than with her mom, so on the weekends, she tends to ignore me. When she's sick? Even more so.

So what did I do today? I ran the dishwasher. I made stock. I sorted and took out the recycling. I made freezer burritos. I went to the grocery store. I watched a bunch of My Little Pony with my daughter (who was ignoring me). Nice show, but I was really hoping it was not the highlight of the last few days. I thought about duct-taping up the hole in my car, but I decided to leave some excitement for tomorrow.

There are a few other things at work. It's not that I don't know anybody in the area...but since I turned 40, I spend more weekends by myself than with people I know. I moved up here when I was 28, and I usually could always count on being out with people a couple of nights a week. Then, at some point, it's almost like a tap turned, and everyone disappeared. No one wants to go out.

It was somewhat easier when I still was drinking, because I could at least talk to bartenders. Clean living might be healthier. It is not, however, any less boring.

No comments: