Tuesday, January 15, 2008

the future of my writing

I've decided that my return to fiction-writing is long overdue. Although I certainly don't have the time to do more work (especially work that isn't really going to help my scholarly career), I have story ideas that have been bursting in my head, and I need to get them out. First off, I have a short story about a manic rest area attendant, and then I start work on a novel loosely based on my Minnesota trip of a few summers ago. I also have thoughts of a fictional biography of a rock star and a novel about grad students surrounded by zombies, but they are both in the future.

I tried to become a fiction writer before, but right out of high school, I just didn't find my own life that interesting or remarkable...and I didn't feel I knew people well enough to successfully comment or understand the lives of others. Maturity has helped a lot in this regard.

Why am I telling y'all this and thus risking ridicule in case this new push fails? Because it's possible that this burst of activity might influence my blog...although I have no idea how. If the fiction ever does see the light of day, you might have to start looking on this blog as at least in part research notes.

I will, however, never stop blogging. As I have wrote, I have also noticed my sanity increase. And I am thankful for all of you who read...it's nice to be able to keep in touch in some way.

2 comments:

Marn said...

Grad student surrounded by zombies, huh? Sounds pretty horrifying if you ask me! There better be no characters based on me in there!

Andy said...

Hey man, I've been in about 12 hojillion fiction writing workshops. It was my major and masters, after all. I'm happy to read anything you wanna send me and tell you what I think.