Tuesday, June 30, 2015

music and math

I always have a hard time recording. It's not just because the whole process can be boring beyond belief (there is a whole lot of waiting involved). The biggest issue for me is that you are constantly under a microscope. You're not usually able to record everyone at once, so you have to go one at a time, to a click track (a computerized steady beat)...so everything can synch up.

I've always found this incredibly annoying. When i play solo, i can be fluid with my timing to greater highlight the peaks and valleys of the song. When I'm with a band, I'm used to fitting in with other musicians and their idiosyncrasies. The quirks are always what makes it real to my ears...and computers don't have quirks.

As always, it is nice to get scientific confirmation of my own unscientific biases. The article What Differentiates Human Drummer's From Machines? tells of a study which argues that "in every human performance, there are tiny flaws which follow a pleasing fractal pattern."

Once again, I discover some other cool application of mathematics which makes me wonder why my math teachers only ever talked about pyramids and trains leaving stations. If I knew there were such cool math applications, I would've tried a lot harder in those classes.

No comments: