Thursday, June 25, 2015

watching the watchmen

If you haven't figured it out yet, I don't trust most police officers. In my life, I've had very little reason to trust them. I was a heavy metal teenager, and because I looked different, I was more likely to get singled out by them. I lost count of the times me and my brother would, while driving, get pulled over by cops for no reason. I once got kicked out of a McDonald's in the mall by a cop who kept his hand on his gun. One day on my way home from work, I got pulled over, frisked, and had my car searched... all because I had an out taillight.

And I am fully aware that all my incidents were all mild. I know that if I was an ethnic or sexual other, I would most certainly be more heavily followed, and maybe abused and attacked. I am, after all, a white male, and while I looked different than the cops, I was close enough to them to avoid any racism, homophobia, or anything else which would compound these authority figures abusing their authority.

Look, I know being a cop can't be the easiest job ever. And yes, it does have its dangers, but it's safer than being a fisherman or electrician. But even if it was the most difficult job in the world, that would still be no reason to do it badly, no excuse to abuse its power.

So, no, I don't like cops. And after reading the Interview with the Baltimore Cop Who's Revealing All the Horrible Things He Saw On the Job, well, now I'm just plain scared of them.

I mean, more than I was before.

No comments: