Monday, January 30, 2017

engagement

How "here" should you be? It is, I have decided, a political matter.

About a week and a half ago, I mentioned that I decided to take a break from social media. I then shut down Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. The first I will open once a day to check notifications, but I close it immediately thereafter. The other two, I haven't touched since my social disengagement.

The point initially was to clear my head after the inauguration. I didn't plan for my absence to be permanent; however, I have found it to be pretty advantageous to not be so connected. My phone battery lasts a lot longer. Plus I've been able to read a lot more, which is nice. I also spend a decent amount of each morning with The New York Times so I feel better informed. Who knows? Maybe I will just stay away.

The problem, though, is that being better informed is not always all that relaxing. In fact, some mornings, my daily perusal of the news makes me wonder if my world has become downright Lovecraftian thanks to our manic El Presidente. Being informed is nice, but being informed that the world is soon to be overrun by The Elder Ones? Well, it's enough to make me wanna disengage on a whole other degree.

I'm gonna go the other direction, though. After I finally finish my album long in progress (thanks to all the aforementioned free time), I seem to be writing a protest album. I've decided that I'm not going to let them get me to totally disengage. Instead, I will come after them. I refuse to be driven into apathy.

Politics requires engagement. And I'm gonna be so engaged. Take that, you annoyers!

No comments: