Monday, January 30, 2017

on aging, 1/30

In an episode of West Wing, Josh Lyman says, "there comes a day where every man realizes he won't ever play major league ball." I know how he feels. Eventually, all people becomes aware they are getting older.

It doesn't come all at once but in dribbles. Eventually, they stack up. Still, as they say, there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. Then, when one finally admits getting older, all those dribbles, all those signs? You start to see them everywhere.

I'm 45. I am, as far as my undergrads are concerned, fairly ancient at this point. This I know, but one of the reasons it's hard to accept is that I don't really feel all that different than I did at 23...that is, until I get around younger people interacting socially. Then I get amazingly aware I am not one of them.

Don't get me wrong. I'm really comfortable with who I am and where I am...but this aging process is something of which I'm becoming increasingly aware.
Stay tuned

No comments: