Wednesday, June 19, 2024

she has a way with metaphors

My daughter likes to go with me to the store. I don't know why, but she seems to legitimately enjoy shopping with me. She's now technically a teenager (and has had that attitude for a while now), so while I don't fully understand why she'll willingly accompany me, I will take the win.

Today, we were at a stoplight, and a motorcycle pulled up next to us. The guy on the bike had new country blasting on his radio, and Sylvia immediately started flinging out snark.

"I'm so glad that he's not only sharing his awful music with the world, but he's doing so at top volume. Why," she asked, "doesn't use ear buds?"

This gave me a chance to exercise my Mr. Know-It-All ability. "It's actually illegal to drive while wearing headphones. It makes it too hard to hear ambulances and such."

"Ah. That makes sense." She studied the biker for a few seconds. "He looks like the kind of guy who leaves his house on a cul-de-sac and goes to Bass Pro Shop every other week whether he needs to or not."

And this is when I realized that, as much as I love my child, I also kind of fear her.

No comments: