Wednesday, June 05, 2024

thankless?

The great philosopher Annie Savoy said something to the effect of, "one should be strong enough where the vagaries of life don't affect them." Nevertheless...

I knock on my daughter's door and tell her I need a favor.

"Yes?"

"I know you don't care about such things, but can you come out to the living room and look at the yard?"

She goes to the window. Before her eyes is a sea of freshly trimmed grass. 

"....ooookay?"

"Can you tell me it looks good?"

When I was younger, I never really grasped just how much of my adult life would be spent doing tasks no one notices. It's a reality i can usually accept. There are times, though...

It takes a second, but my daughter smiles with all of her eyes. She gets on tippy toes, pats me on the top of my head, and says, "You did a really nice job."

It helps.

No comments: