Friday, September 16, 2005

...but it has tremendous capacity!

I have a big head.

For those of you who know me, this probably comes as very little of a suprise. But, in the spirit of full disclosure, I feel the need to come public with the revelation. Besides, isn't admitting it the first step?

When my niece Clare was younger (you know, when they're at the age where they don't get the idea of editing themselves) and I would be riding with my sister, I would often hear her exclaim from the back seat "Uncle Mike, you got a big head"...which of course led to frequent chuckling on everyone's part...except mine...I instead cried gently.

Having a big head isn't all it's cracked up to be. Sure, it attracts the chicks...my wife was telling me the other day that the sheer size of my melon was what first set her heart all aflutter...but you face other difficulties. Guys, driven to sheer envy by the inadequacy of their own skulls, used to beat me up on an hourly basis, and my head provided a big target. And since my head is so large, I have chronic neck and shoulder pain.

It's also difficult finding hats. One size fits all? That phrase is a conspiracy set forth by those with smaller brainpans. Their sheer jealousy causes them to produce shoddy wares that cannot breach my head's circumference. My inability to wear a hat is the only thing that stops me from emulating those mightiest of heroes, the frat boys...the blackballing bastards who wouldn't let me join their club, only because of their jealously over my head size (although, looking back on it, going to a commuter campus might have also been a contributing factor).

I wonder what a phrenologist would say...

In a desperate attempt to at least look semi-normal, I thought about getting a fitted hat. I found a web site that told how to measure one's head. So, after gently closing my office door to avoid prying eyes, I broke out my Craftsman retractable tape measure and wrapped the crinkling metal band around my head. None of you will be shocked to learn I literally measured off the charts...I estimate an 8 1/2.

So I looked for a large (technically, an XXXL) hat online. There were none for my alma mater. There were none for my place of employment. There were none for my favorite football team.

What I need here is a reputable head diet.

And pray to whatever powers that be that I never get encephalitis...the resulting head would blot out the sun.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

My winter project this year is to learn how to crochet hats, so if you want one just let me know (and let me practice first... no one wants the first couple of attempts I'm sure).

themikedubose said...

Have you thought about how many bald sheep there would be for the wool? I don't know if I can have that on my conscience.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Lamood Big
Hats
for large heads. They have a couple logo hats, no school, nba, nfl, or such, but they have some baseball
caps and a few bucket hats that would fit your big head.