Friday, September 09, 2005

living in an echo chamber

It's Friday, and I'm in my office. I think that I might be the only one left at the University.

I walk the halls. Emptiness. Vast, labyrinthian unused spaces. Darkened offices. I think I might see the occasional office worker, but they might just be mirages...or perhaps ghosts.

I go to the Union office, yet there is no answer when I knock. Am I paranoid? Is there some significance with the Union office being deserted on a Friday afternoon?

I go down one floor. The third level of University Hall has the best echoes. It's like being in an ivy-covered Grand Canyon.

I go out to the green. Still deserted. Ghost campus. Save for the occasional tumbleweed and circling vulture, I am alone.

Did the railroad move, leaving the town's occupants to pull up stakes in the middle of the night? Space aliens kidnap everyone? Or was the life I thought I was leading only a dream? Am I the only one left? Has my world become a Twilight Zone episode?

Hello? Can you hear me? Knock once...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

You should run around the halls and pretend you're in _The Breakfast Club_ ! :)

themikedubose said...

I was thinking more student film-esque..."I am alone...ALONE!!!!"

(from _Prometheus Unbound_ by Jay Prescott Sherman)