Monday, June 02, 2008

'tis the season for unconsciousness

This morning, two good friends left after a long weekend visit...one marvelous friend defended a doctoral dissertation, and the partner accompanied for moral support and drinking opportunities. Since both are dear friends and readers of this blog, the spousal unit and I opened up our house to them...and they repaid our kindness by bringing Old Style 30s and by refraining from trashing casa DuBose.

Somewhere in the visit, however, I got an e-mail from another friend. He's moving away at the end of the summer and wants to go out and drink this week. I told him that I could be persuaded to agree.

Later, I received an e-mail from another friend. Him and his spousal unit are coming for a BG visit (not sure why, but whenever anyone talks about a BG visit, I always think of the line from Bull Durham: "People who leave the Carolina League don't come back"). Of course, we will get together, socialize, and inevitably drink.

What does this all mean? With friend 1 and 2's visit, there was consumption on last Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. I go back to bar for friend 3 this Tuesday. Then starting Thursday, I have drinking with friends 4 and 5.

I like seeing good friends. I like socializing. I enjoy a beer or twelve. However, I doubt that I will be tremendously coherent come next week.

The dangers of summertime, I guess.

No comments: