Monday, June 02, 2008

where's my gub'ment handout?

Today, I finally got my welfare check. You know, the thing that our glorious leaders call the 2008 Economic Stimulus check? By any other name, though, it's welfare, but our glorious leader (yes, the repeated Boris & Natasha reference is on purpose) cannot call it that and still think of himself as a conservative...although when you think of it, anyone who expands government, starts two wars, and increases government intrusion into the lives of citizens (thanks, Patriot Act) cannot really be conserving anything.

End soap box moment.

Anyway, I've been thinking of the best ways to spend our welfare check. Part of me wants to follow some great liberal stereotype. Why not? I've felt like a stereotypical liberal waiting for the damn thing to arrive ("where's my free money?"), but it would be more fun to use it to induce a stereotypically racially-other welfare mother to not get a job or something like that. However, I really didn't get that much money. What other options exist? I thought about hookers and blow, but that's more Republican than Democrat, isn't it?

Ideally, I would like to donate it to some worthy charity. Hell, I'm of the mind that instead of cutting everyone a check, we should've used the money to build solid levees around New Orleans or maybe even houses. This would've stimulated the economy and done some good at the same time, but I guess my government thought that landlords, gas station owners, and other elites needed a few c-notes more than did the devastated Katrina survivors.

In the end, though, I'm probably not going to do anything more fun than satiate my own creditors. Oh well...poverty wins out over idealism.

No comments: