Thursday, April 16, 2015

in defense of bullies

If you've been following (or even glancing at) my "time to be scared" category, you know that I am particularly afraid of government surveillance. This just happens to coincide with the articles I've ran across. I actually have much greater--exponentially larger, in fact--hatred of the world of big business. Big business, in my opinion, is a much greater and inescapable force of oppression in most people's lives. That people trust businesses more than government? This makes no sense to me at all.

So, when I ran across the editorial "It's Okay to Bully Corporations," I couldn't help but be a little thrilled. I completely agree with the point that we should use every tool in our power to fight for economic justice. But I'm enough of a wordsmith (sorry to be pretentious, but I can't think of a better term) to really cheer for the article's claims about diction. I have more than a bit of wrath for anyone who co-opts the language of the oppressed to support the oppressors.

We should also be allowed to bully those nimrods.

No comments: