Wednesday, April 15, 2015

time to be scared v

By now, you know that I'm not the biggest fan of the NSA. I am a firm believer in the right to privacy. Privacy is important for many reasons beside the "I want to get away with something illegal" excuse. But don't take it from me. Instead, listen to the expert:


What bugs me about the NSA is the attitude that anyone concerned with privacy must be a terrorist. Hell, just using online privacy tools makes you a surveillance target. For this reason if no other, everyone should download Tor and use it to browse the most disturbing sites they can find...you know, just to make the NSA's job more interesting.

The wacky folks at the NSA are, however, now one-upping themselves. NSA director Michael S. Rogers now wants front door access to all cryptography used in the US.  In simple terms, they're saying that no one should be able to have any secrets or information the government cannot access at will. This frightens me. I don't really think the government is pure evil. However, making them all-powerful and giving them the tools to invade every aspect of each citizen's life seems a little too trusting...not to mention a bad idea, because it would take just one evil person armed with the right tools to destroy you.

Some say that if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn't need privacy. I say that if you have nothing to hide, then you should be the one speaking out most vociferously in its defense.

No comments: